Friday, October 1, 2010

"There are no short cuts to any place worth going." — Beverly Sills


My inquiry topic I am doing my digital storytelling project is on self-discipline. I am focusing my project on the question ‘are students willing to work hard for the great reward of graduation and getting any job they want, or are they okay with just getting by and having fun now?’

The marshmallow video showed that most of the kids wanted the marshmallow right away and would not wait to get two marshmallows. This is a experiment that was done with children and if college students where asked to not eat a marshmallow and if they waited long enough they would get two, most would wait however long it took. This is why I wanted to explore this idea. I want to ask students if they are at Southern Connecticut State University to get that “college experience” or are they here to work hard for their future.

I understand life is too short and you should live in the moment, and I am wondering if this is what some students believe during their time here. If they are doing the minimum so they can graduate and have their bachelors degree to get a good job, that they might not enjoy doing. But if they are having the time of their life, is it worth it now?
                                        
On the other hand those who are always studying and giving a hundred and ten percent for all their school work. They are thinking of their future and have a great sense of self- discipline. They are not ok with just getting by and want to work hard now so they can get a good paying job that they are happy with. But if they spend all their time on school work are they really missing out on their “college experience”? 

No comments:

Post a Comment