Friday, October 8, 2010

"Speech-Language Pathology- because silence isn't always golden." -Unknown


I am majoring in communication disorders. I have wanted to do this for a while. One day I sat down with my sister and we had a talk about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I told her that I wanted to work with children and help them in some way, but I did not want to be a teacher. I knew I wanted to work with kids because at my sister’s dance studio, I help her with the little kids and their enthusiasm is outrageous. They have so much energy and are so funny and great to be around. So knowing that I am able to help a little kid is just a great feeling! My sister introduced me to the idea of becoming a speech pathologist, and instantly I was hooked. She had majored in it when she went to Southern Connecticut State University, but ended up changing her major to psychology. She told me that she regrets her decision and wishes she had stuck to communication disorders.

What made me most interested in being a speech pathologist is being able to help people. I want to work in an elementary school and work with little kids. There is a lot of need for speech pathologists, and would be easy to get a job right out of college. A friend of my family’s is a speech pathologist at our junior high school, and she told me that I am in the right field and that she loves what she does, and knows I will love it too.

I am excited to start taking classes that I have to for this major, and I can not wait to start what I will hopefully be doing for the rest of my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment